[whatwg] Adding obsolete elements/attributes to indexes

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jan 23 09:06:23 PST 2014

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014, Simon Sapin wrote:
> On 23/01/2014 08:54, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Jan 2014, Simon Sapin wrote:
> > >
> > > To help with "discoverability" of obsolete features by implementers,
> > > I’d like them to be included in the Index section’s tables.
> >
> > They're explicitly excluded to help with avoiding their discovery by
> > authors.
>
> I see. I still wish there was a version of the indexes for implementers
> :)

The index is non-normative and often has errors (maintaining it is a huge
pain in the neck and even with automation, I make mistakes regularly --
that's one of the reasons it's non-normative). Please don't rely on it.
Making it explicitly support implementors would risk this even more. :-)

> > > When considering what Servo should implement, I mistakenly concluded
> > > that <li> elements do not have a 'type' attribute, based on the
> > > Index. They in fact do, as specified in the Obsolete features
> > > section.
> >
> > Do you mean a type IDL attribute or a type content attribute? No IDL
> > attributes are listed in the index. I don't know what it really means
> > for an element to have a content attribute, from an implement's
> > persective.
>
> I’m talking about HTML attributes. In this case <li type=A>Foo</i>
> affecting rendering compared to just <li>Foo</li>.
>
> Perhaps "elements having an attribute" is not the right term, but "a
> content attribute having meaning for the UA"?

I don't see any UA conformance criteria for the type="" content attribute
anywhere in the obsolete section. Am I missing something?

The only conformance criteria I see regarding the <li> element's "type"
attribute is in a style sheet block in the rendering section. It's not
really anything special about the type="" attribute, it's just part of the
rendering rules, just like the fact that it is display:list-item.