[whatwg] Adding obsolete elements/attributes to indexes

Simon Sapin simon.sapin at exyr.org
Thu Jan 23 09:00:31 PST 2014

On 23/01/2014 08:54, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2014, Simon Sapin wrote:
>>
>> To help with "discoverability" of obsolete features by implementers, I’d
>> like them to be included in the Index section’s tables.
>
> They're explicitly excluded to help with avoiding their discovery by
> authors.

I see. I still wish there was a version of the indexes for implementers :)

> There's a link from any interface that has obsolete IDL members to the
> partial interface that defines those members. As far as non-obsolete
> elements go, I think the only requirements in the obsolete section are
> regarding these obsolete IDL members.
>

>> When considering what Servo should implement, I mistakenly concluded
>> that <li> elements do not have a 'type' attribute, based on the Index.
>> They in fact do, as specified in the Obsolete features section.
>
> Do you mean a type IDL attribute or a type content attribute? No IDL
> attributes are listed in the index. I don't know what it really means for
> an element to have a content attribute, from an implement's persective.

I’m talking about HTML attributes. In this case <li type=A>Foo</i>
affecting rendering compared to just <li>Foo</li>.

Perhaps "elements having an attribute" is not the right term, but "a
content attribute having meaning for the UA"?

--
Simon Sapin