[whatwg] 'hidden' as resources control (Was: Simplified <picture> element draft)

Qebui Nehebkau qebui.nehebkau+whatwg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 19:37:14 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Bruno Racineux <bruno at hexanet.net> wrote:
> The requirement for ATs with 'hidden' is to access the structure of hidden
> elements. Not the presentation aspect... I am having a hard time
> translating that a resources that is "not yet needed or is no longer
> needed" means that it should load immediately *regardless*.

That seems like it should be up to the user, and, thus, the user
agent, yes? The question of whether and what to preload strikes me as
very much contingent on the priorities and circumstances of individual
users, and obviously not at all the authors' business. I find the
entire subject of specifying how user agents should preload completely
misguided. Shouldn't this, if *anything*, be open for innovation?