[imps] HTML5 parser test location

Thomas Broyer t.broyer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 06:22:48 PDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Just an FYI since there seems to be some misinformation about this (for
> which I might have been responsible, not sure), but hereby a note that we'd
> like to keep all HTML5 parser tests in the html5lib project tree and not
> move them all to the html5 project tree. For licensing reasons, because the
> html5 project owner doesn't like it, and because it just isn't worth the
> trouble.
>
> (If I was unclear about this in the past or have given the impression of
> supporting the opposite view, my apologies.)

FYI, I started the new tests (not really a "move" 'cause I've been
rewriting them all from scratch) based on the following thread:
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/implementors-whatwg.org/2007-July/000126.html
Particularly the following two messages:
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/implementors-whatwg.org/2007-July/000127.html
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/implementors-whatwg.org/2007-August/000129.html

I personnaly have no preference for any license (MIT or Apache 2) so
if people (including those who don't work on html5lib, like Henri
Sivonen) prefer the tests to be MIT-licenced, I don't bother.

But please note that the tests in the html5 repository are complete
rewrites, not copies from html5lib's tests.

Now, if Ian changed his mind, and to keep them
"implementation-agnostic", how about an html5-tests project?
(MIT-licensed if that's what implementors want)
My main goal with the new tests is to keep them:
 - independant of any implementation, so that we can keep them in sync
with the spec, not the software (see the above thread's first message)
 - organized wrt the spec, so that when the spec change it's easier to
locate the tests that need to be updated

Projects using those tests could specify a particular revision they
aim to "pass", in their svn:external import for example; and change
the svn:external revision when they update the implementation to
follow the spec changes.

--
Thomas Broyer