[html5] single article

Jukka K. Korpela jukka.k.korpela at kolumbus.fi
Mon Mar 12 22:17:05 PDT 2012

2012-03-13 0:52, Brian Tremblay wrote:

> Does it make sense to have an html page that contains, besides its own
> header and footer, a single article?

Yes.

> These individual photo pages
> contain a header and footer, with the main content being the photo. I'm
> sort of thinking of placing that photo, along with the photo title, in
> an article element. Is this proper?

The <article> markup has no real impact, at present at least, beyond
making its content displayed as a block on some browsers.

Regarding the descriptions,
"The article element represents a self-contained composition in a
document, page, application, or site and that is, in principle,
independently distributable or reusable, e.g. in syndication. This could
be a forum post, a magazine or newspaper article, a blog entry, a
user-submitted comment, an interactive widget or gadget, or any other
independent item of content."
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-article-element

I don't see why a photo with its title could not be an independent item
of content, at least if the title contains sufficient information about
the photo.

> And if the only h1 on the page is
> inside the article element, what does the document outline look like?

     Untitled Section
         Your h1 heading

See http://gsnedders.html5.org/outliner/

As far as I know, document outline is just a theoretical concept so far,
with no implications on anything real. Before some software starts
actually utilizing outlines, you cannot know whether this is a better
outline (for some purposes) than what you'd get without <article> markup.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/