[html5] these simplifications simply must happen...

Amy Soyka amy at darbyshire.id.au
Wed May 1 20:43:22 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I've posted about this in the past but it seems to have been ignored so I
am airing this on the help mailing list as it is an issue I think needs to
be fixed.

traditionally linking to external stylesheets has always been done with:
<link href="url" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
the link tag being used not only for stylesheets but also to link other
media.

however, when embedding css into our documents we use:
or simply the new html5 way:

traditionally linking to javascript had been done with:
<script src="url" type="text/javascript"></script>
which was written so as to execute both external & embedded scripts.
or now in html 5 simply:
<script src="url"></script>

why cant the styles tag follow suite and use:
?

this would simplify the use of both external & embedded styles.
scripts using <script src=""></script>
styles using <style src=""></style>

additional points I would like to suggest are to do with the use of both:
href="" & src="" when linking content.
href means hyperlink reference & src means source

would it make sense to define some better practice standards around this?
href means hyperlink reference. it is used for linking within/to other
pages.
src means source. it is used to link to media content beyond a page.
shouldn't these be defined more as such?

I hope that everyone appreciates these comments.
Sincerely
Amy Soyka