[whatwg] Re: WEB_FORMS 2.0 comment, repetition model, using reserved macro scripting syntax

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Aug 17 09:59:17 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Terje Bless wrote:
>>On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Andrew Clover wrote:
>>>
>>> 4. Square brackets are still pretty bad. You can't have them in an
>>> attribute of type ID
>>
>> You can, you just can't have them there if you have a DTD and a
>> validating parser.
>
> Without a DTD and a validating parser, the concept of an undefined
> attribute on an undefined element having an undefined type pretty much
> allows you to do whatever UA vendors happen to have implemented, yes.

The attribute, element, and type are all defined. Just because they are
defined by prose instead of by DTD doesn't mean that anything is any less
defined. If anything, it's more defined, since, as I keep pointing out,
DTDs are unable to describe most of the conformance criteria here.

In any case, "[" and "]" are now valid in IDs according to the WF2 SGML
declaration, apparently:

   http://syntax.whatwg.org/sgml/html5core+wf2/pre1/declaration

Doesn't help in XML, but in XML DTDs aren't needed at all anyway, so the
point is largely moot.