[whatwg] about rich internat applications

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jun 9 13:11:26 PDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Didier PH Martin wrote:

>>> a) a domain model is encoded into a domain model language based on XML
>>
>> ...XHTML...
>
> I meant here more a language to express a domain model like xmlfx, rdf,
> etc... more data than document. Even for document, I meant more stuff
> like ATA2100 etc...

Oh. Well in that case it won't work in any browser, at least not natively.
:-)

>>> sent (with a layout definition)
>>
>> ...stylesheet...
>
> This is what I do today (XSLT) but I am exploring other ways to define a
> la xform a web app layout linked (bind) to my xml model

I meant CSS.

>> A list of exactly what it is you need would be really useful for this
>> list to work from.
>
> Yes, for the moment:
> a) menu tool sitting at the top of the window (like the ones found in
> desktops).
> b) a context menu (triggered by a right mouse click)
> c) a toolbar
> d) a status bar

Thanks. I've added these to the web-apps notes.

I'm not sure about the menu bar one. On MacOSX, the menu bar must go at
the top of the window, and on Windows it must go at the top of the Window.

But in both cases, there is already a menu there -- the browser's menu,
which must be there to give the user control over the UA.

The status bar is another one where it's not really clear exactly what is
needed. UAs already have status bars, which you can access from
window.status, but many users disable this these days.

Context menus and toolbars are definitely needed though, yes.