[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 (WD 16 June 2004): DOCTYPEs

Dave Hodder dmh at dmh.org.uk
Thu Jun 17 10:09:20 PDT 2004

Hello,

Section 1.6 of the draft mentions use of the DOCTYPE <!DOCTYPE html
PUBLIC "-//WHATWG//NONSGML HTML5//EN">.

If I may I'd like to suggest the following public identifiers instead:

     "-//WHATWG//DTD HTML 4.01 plus Web Forms 2.0//EN"

     "-//WHATWG//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional plus Web Forms 2.0//EN"

     "-//WHATWG//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus Web Forms 2.0//EN"

This may seem like a minor point, but my thinking is that these PIs
emphasise the backwards compatibilty of Web Forms 2.0 with previous W3C
Recommendations.  This is, of course, what differentiates Web Forms 2.0
from other solutions, and I think it should be stressed at every
available opportunity.  :o)

(Obviously this in itself doesn't preclude a standards body from
releasing a compound spec for a "HTML 5.0" or "XHTML 1.5" at a later
date...)

Regards,

Dave