[whatwg] repetition model

Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen hallvors at online.no
Fri Jun 25 14:53:01 PDT 2004

On 25 Jun 2004 at 14:05, Avi Bryant wrote:

> Instead of simply appending the number, append a "." and then the
> number.  So you'd get
>
> <input name="planetmoon.13.5">

I like it, but unfortunately there is this thing about backwards
compatibility with a ton of CGI stuff. For instance all the worlds
PHP4 installations have the seriously useful capability that they can
make arrays out of form data automatically if element names contain
[something] in square brackets. If the template replication just
added dots, any author with an existing PHP backend would have to
rewrite a lot of his old scripts to use the repetition model at all.
I'm not sure if the indexposition attribute is the best solution (and
if my "autoname" idea is used maybe adding dot-digit is the best
default) but I think we do need to give authors full control of where
the index is placed in the element name.