[whatwg] Definition Lists Recommendations

Eugene T.S. Wong lists.eugenetswong at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 13:58:10 PST 2006

Hi.

Should <DL> children be <LI>? I ask because I think that it will create
better structure than having all <DT> & <DD> elements be children of the
same parent. If we use <LI> as children of <DL> elements, and then make
<DT> & <DD> elements the children of the <LI> elements, then there may be
better structure. For example:

<DL>

<LI>
<DT><DFN>cat</DFN></DT>
<DD>the thing that is chased by dogs</DD>
</LI>

<LI>
<DT><DFN>color</DFN> <DFN>colour</DFN></DT>
<DD>A sensation which (in humans) derives from the ability of
the fine structure of the eye to distinguish three differently
filtered analyses of a view.</DD>
</LI>

</DL>

It looks a lot like tag soup, but it really is well structured, because
each concept is 1 list item. Each list item can have many words. This type
of a list is very similar to a table. <DL> would be similar to <TABLE>,
<LI> would be similar to <TR>, <DT> would be some kind of <TH> heading,
and <DD> would be like <TD>. "DT" could stand for "definition terms",
instead of "definition term".

What do you all think?

If we do implement the <LI> idea, then another idea is to not allow more
than 1 term in a <DT> element. The problem is that some terms may start
with letters at a completely different part of the alphabet. For example:

<DL>

<LI>
<DT><DFN>cat</DFN></DT>
<DD>the thing that is chased by dogs</DD>
</LI>

<LI>
<DT><DFN>color</DFN> <DFN>zippyzappa</DFN></DT>
<DD>A sensation which (in humans) derives from the ability of
the fine structure of the eye to distinguish three differently
filtered analyses of a view.</DD>
</LI>

</DL>

In the above example "zippyzappa" is another word for "color". The problem
is that people may remember the term zippyzappa but forget the definition
and the location of the definition. They may skim down the "z" section
looking for "zippyzappa". If it isn't there, then they are out of luck.
Perhaps seperating the terms may make it easier for them.

<DL>

<LI>
<DT><DFN>cat</DFN></DT>
<DD>the thing that is chased by dogs</DD>
</LI>

<LI>
<DT><DFN>color</DFN></DT>
<DD>A sensation which (in humans) derives from the ability of
the fine structure of the eye to distinguish three differently
filtered analyses of a view.</DD>
</LI>

<LI>
<DT><DFN>zippyzappa</DFN></DT>
<DD>another word for <SPAN>color</SPAN></DD>
</LI>

</DL>

The user should be able to click on the word "color" in the "zippyzappa"
definition and be taken there. If we decide to allow only 1 term per <DT>
element, then we wouldn't need to use <DFN> and thus could write:
.
.
.
<DT>foo</DT>
<DD>Lorum ipsum...</DD>
.
.
.
etc.

The specs say DT doesn't have to contain a definition term. What other
things would it be used for?

--
Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong