[whatwg] <A> Element & Attributes

Eugene T.S. Wong lists.eugenetswong at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:15:25 PST 2006

If I understand W3C correctly, they intend to give designers and
developers the ability to make anything clickable. Should we allow
all/most things to be clickable by default? If we get rid of <A> and just
place the attributes in the containing element or a span element, then we
might produce better code. For example:

<MENU>
<LI HREF="/">Home</LI>
<LI HREF="sitemap">Site Map</LI>
<LI>Catalog</LI>
<LI HREF="contact">Contact Information</LI>
</MENU>

In the above example, 3 out of 4 items would be clickable, and the code
implies that the user is viewing the catalog right now, and that that item
is not clickable at this time.

I noticed from the list of phrase elements, that there are not many 1
letter element names. If we get rid of <A>, then that means we'd be using
longer names, like <SPAN>. Maybe we should keep <A>, but still make the
others clickable. The benefit of that is for when we use enclose inline
text that is surrounded by other inline text. For example:

<P>Foo <A HREF="asdf">bar</A> biz baz.</P>

Comments? Questions?

--
Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong