[whatwg] HTML 5, OGG, competition, civil rights, and persons with disabilities

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Tue Dec 11 16:04:49 PST 2007

Dave Singer wrote:
> At 13:45  -0500 11/12/07, Fernando wrote:
>> Please reconsider the decision to exclude the recommendation of the
> Theora/OGG Vorbis codec in HTML 5 guidelines.

> This entire discussion is founded on a major misapprehension:  that
> there has been a decision, and that decision was to exclude.  This is
> simply not true;  there is no decision either to include or exclude.
> There is a recognition that work is needed.

> I and others have spent a great deal of time on this problem already,
> working with a number of people, including the W3C staff.  Many of us --
> maybe all of us -- agree we need to find a solution that enables broad
> interoperability and is in accord with w3c and web practices. We have
> not yet reached consensus on having found it.  That's all.

A decision was made to move away from using the ogg family of
technologies.  While not a final decision, it is a threatening decision
to those of us that value freedom and openness and don't appreciate
being screwed by big companies.

Listen to what the people are saying.

Restore the ogg family of technologies to the spec and suck it up.

--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."