[whatwg] HTML 5, OGG, competition, civil rights, and persons with disabilities

Dave Singer singer at apple.com
Tue Dec 11 16:11:18 PST 2007

At 19:04  -0500 11/12/07, Jeff McAdams wrote:
>Dave Singer wrote:
>>  At 13:45  -0500 11/12/07, Fernando wrote:
>>>  Please reconsider the decision to exclude the recommendation of the
>>  Theora/OGG Vorbis codec in HTML 5 guidelines.
>
>>  This entire discussion is founded on a major misapprehension:  that
>>  there has been a decision, and that decision was to exclude.  This is
>>  simply not true;  there is no decision either to include or exclude.
>>  There is a recognition that work is needed.
>
>>  I and others have spent a great deal of time on this problem already,
>>  working with a number of people, including the W3C staff.  Many of us --
>>  maybe all of us -- agree we need to find a solution that enables broad
>>  interoperability and is in accord with w3c and web practices. We have
>>  not yet reached consensus on having found it.  That's all.
>
>A decision was made to move away from using the ogg family of
>technologies.

No.

A decision was made to have the text reflect the facts that (a)
no-one is happy with a 'should' and (b) that work is ongoing to find
a solution (which might be Ogg, or something else).  That's all.

>While not a final decision, it is a threatening decision
>to those of us that value freedom and openness and don't appreciate
>being screwed by big companies.

>Listen to what the people are saying.

Oh, I am listening.  It's by no means clear that the Ogg crowd is at
all.  I'm also spending efforts working on finding a solution.  I
don't count lamenting "I want my ogg" on this list as spending
efforts at all.
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime