[whatwg] Remove addCueRange/removeCueRanges

Dr. Markus Walther walther at svox.com
Fri Aug 14 01:28:14 PDT 2009

Hi,

> The .start/.end properties were dropped in favor of media fragments,
> which the Media Fragments Working Group is producing a spec for.

Who decided this? Has this decision been made public on this list?

> It will
> be something like http://www.example.com/movie.mov#t=12.33,21.16

var audioObject = new Audio();
audioObject.src
='data:audio/x-wav;base64,UklGRiIAAABXQVZFZm10IBAAAAABAAEAIlYAAESsAAACABAAZGF0Yf7///8AAAAA....';
// play entire audio
audioObject.play();
// play (0.54328,0.72636) media fragment
?????

> See http://www.w3.org/2008/01/media-fragments-wg.html and
> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/wiki/Syntax#Examples

Did you look at these yourself? I couldn't find something that
approaches a spec of comparable quality to WHATWG in these pages.

Is there any provision for the dynamic case, where you want to change
the media fragment after it has been loaded, with zero server
interaction, and working for data URIs as well?

>> Actually, out of curiousity: could gapless concatenation of several
>> audio objects be added as well, e.g.
>>
>> audioObject1.append(audioObject2)
>>
>> or even
>>
>> audioObject.join([audioObject1,audioObject2,...,audioObjectN)
>
> There has been much discussion about audio "canvas" API:s and I trust
> this could fit into that scope.

As the 'inventor' of the term, I am of course familiar with the
discussion - here I was merely adding an item to the wishlist.

> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#video
> and search for "v2" and you'll find some of these ideas.

Could these be lifted from hidden HTML comments to something with better
visibility somehow?

-- Markus