[whatwg] article/section/details naming/definition problems

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Sep 16 04:28:36 PDT 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Bruce Lawson wrote:

> Seems to me that (current) sections aren't for syndicating (tabs,
> chapters etc), while blog posts (currently articles) *are* for potential
> syndication (although the cite attribute was recently removed from
> article).

I've adjusted the spec's definition more in line with this.

> A comment in an article is also marked up as article, but is unlikely to
> be a candidate for syndication as it's out of context.
>
> Is this correct?

As James on IRC pointed out:

   http://intertwingly.net/blog/comments.html
   http://firehose.diveintomark.org/
   http://www.zeldman.com/comments/feed/

Also, consider Twitter, Reddit, most forums, etc, where individual
comments are definitely syndicated.

cite="" was removed because it's already possible to include a permalink
using <a>, by the way: