[whatwg] Html 5 video element's poster attribute

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Mon Sep 20 02:26:32 PDT 2010

  On 20/09/2010 6:11 p.m., Roger Hågensen wrote:
> If the user pauses the video during play then a "paused poster" must
> not be shown as the user most likely intends to study the paused frame
> of the video

This is a good argument against having a paused-poster.

The question then is whether the end-poster needs to be different from
the start-poster. If the main use case is "re-display the poster image
so the user knows that they can play again", then the end-poster and
start-poster don't need to be different.

Showing the poster at the end of playback is a matter of taste. How
about we remain with a single 'poster' attribute, and add a 'showposter'
attibute, with values 'start', 'end', and 'both', which denote when the
poster is shown? Or the values could be enumerated similar to how
readyState and networkState are enumerated.

On 20/09/2010 7:57 p.m., Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Shiv Kumar <skumar at exposureroom.com
> <mailto:skumar at exposureroom.com>> wrote:
>
>     >Could a call to video.load() reset this state?
>
>     Currently is doesn’t affect the poster. But would that be
>     intuitive? I’m getting the video element to load it’s source and
>     so the poster will show?
>

> I regard the load() function as a kind of reset() function. But
> possibly we need an actual reset() function to return to the original
> state where the poster image is displayed?

It seems reasonable to me that subsequent calls to load() should behave
the same was the first call to load(), so the poster should be
redisplayed whenever load() is called. We should change the load()
algorithm to require the poster frame to be repainted, if it's present.

Chris P.